18 Feb 2015

Tiny Adventure - Bobsleighing in Austria

If someone wearing a lycra onesie approached me, reached into their trousers, produced an egg and asked me to 'kiss it', readers, be warned, I probably would. 

I grew up in the 90s, and one of my favourite films around this time was Cool Runnings. The idea of a Jamaican bobsleigh team caught my imagination and I decided I wanted to try that. But let's be honest, you don't often find bobsleigh tracks in South East England where I grew up. 

Fast forward a few years (okay, almost 20), and I found myself stood at the top of the Olympic run in Igls, Austria. Innsbruck hosted the 1964 and 1976 Winter Olympics (as well as the 2012 Youth Olympics), so the city knows a few things about world class bobsleigh run. 

Four people crammed into the bobsleigh, and enjoyed under a minute of descent followed quickly by the adrenaline buzz. The feeling is much like a roller coaster or a waterside, with the added knowledge that there is no track or cushioning water, just metre upon metre of relentless ice to which your only connection in gravity. Cool. 

Once we'd had our adventure all that was left to do was take a picture of the famous bobsleigh bandits, and warm up with a glühwein. 








No comments:

Post a Comment