1 Mar 2014

A Sunday morning Twitter prompted rant - with added Grandma analogies

I'm new to Twitter. I know I sound like a grandma when I say that but, I opened an account to drive traffic to my primarily online presence - this blog. Not so grandma now; I said "drive traffic" and everything. Sure I'm probably driving that traffic whilst sitting too close to the virtual wheel and driving at 20mph, but heck I can make a mean shortbread. [End of weird grandma/Twitter analogy]
  
Anyway, it's rather fun and I can be super nosey, listening into other people's shameless plugs/mental breakdowns/desperate attempts to befriend celebrities.

Furthermore I've signed up to follow a load of cycling mags and blogs, as well as some actual real world cyclists

In fact, I get a heck of a lot of information on Twitter (*tells the world something they don't already know*). This morning I learnt that whilst Joanna Roswell rode to a second gold medal win in California, most publications and blogs only 'minute by minute' tweet or multiply post about the men's races. 


Cycling Weekly got named and shamed here, but a lot of others are at it. It begs the question, what's up with that? 

Look, I know it's not a new thing that sport is heavily weighted and reported in favour of the men, but come on. Joanna Rowsell is awesome, she deserves some credit, and at the very least a trending hashtag. 

#awesome
Furthermore, cycling is so accessible as a sport, we should be doing everything in our power to get small people into it, or big people [read: grown ups] for that matter. And there shouldn't be a gender divide on reporting. Lord knows I was happiest during the London 2012 Games, when you could open the Standard at the back pages and find a woman before the centerfold (and not advertising a premium rate phone line, actually doing sporty things). 

Anyway, we've now got a Women's Tour if Britain, so that's every news outlets chance to get on board equal reporting. Heck I even want to follow it in ITV4 - now I've found out how to get that in Switzerland. 

Girls avoid sport, through and through. Most start loafing off through secondary school and beyond.  

Sport reflects society and society reflects sport - that's a tautology don't you know. Well if we had equal reporting (even a balance on Twitter) then slowly balance might return to cycling and sport in general. More girls/women taking part can only be a good thing. 

Cycling is awesome, regardless of gender. But let's just balance out the reporting please folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment