1 Dec 2013

The TfL Die In - a peaceful protest and my broadsheet debut

On Friday night I joined about 1000 cyclists and pedestrians, 30 journalists and 1 police helicopter outside the Transport for London offices. After a 30 minute vigil to remember all of those who have been hurt or injured on London streets whilst out for a ride, we got down to the main event.

In near silence we lay down in the road, blocking the junction of Blackfriars Road and the Cut, closing off a major thoroughfare at the height of rush-hour. Without uttering a sound, we got our point across, asking politely and peacefully for the roads in London to be made better for their users - cyclists, pedestrians, HGV drivers, buses et al.

I was proud to have been a part of it, and pleased to have gone out leafleting to help raise the profile of the campaign, even if I did meet some morons along the way. I was also pretty overjoyed that I didn't sound like a tool myself, when I got interviewed by The Guardian. I am also considering whether that brief sound bite is enough to consider myself  "as featured in The Guardian", and until I hear otherwise I am going with it...

From the block of flats opposite, the extent of the "Die In" can be seen. If only cyclists in London were always this visible, on the roads and in legislation and government policy. We can live and hope.




No comments:

Post a Comment